Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Paul Hovnanian P.E. Paul Hovnanian P.E. is offline

Default My Massive Tube! (FPD) Warning 401kB - BigScreen.jpg

Anthony Fremont wrote:

MassiveProng wrote:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 08:10:25 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

We will have to see on that. It sure looks like they're burning out
in traffic signals and car tail lights fast enough.

That's bull****. Bus Lines, as well as traffic controllers switched
to them SPECIFICALLY due to the FACT that they have a longer life
span, and lower consumption rate.

And you don't see failures? Take a good look at traffic lights, you can
usually find dead pixels in them. They might last longer, but they aren't
eternal.

I've seen quite a few burned out LED strings in center mount brake light
assemblies. These appear to have been adopted before luxury cars started
going to LED brake/tail lights and probably were not as well engineered
to withstand auto electrical environments. They were probably rushed out
to meet the need for a low profile fixture to suit styling needs with
little regard for lamp life.

On a slightly different note, I'm disturbed at the number of vehicles I see
that don't have working tail lights. Not old vehicles, but newer ones (3
years old) that shouldn't have these kinds of failures. It looks to me like
over-all reliability is going the other way while expense and complexity are
going up. I know those failures are for other reasons, but they are
failures none the less.

I recently replaced a burned out taillight bulb in my Landcruiser. It
was the factory lamp, 28 years old. Its not likely that the new lamp
will last nearly that long (or a new truck, for that matter).

--
Paul Hovnanian
What color is a chameleon looking in a mirror?