Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Anthony Fremont Anthony Fremont is offline

Default My Massive Tube! (FPD) Warning 401kB - BigScreen.jpg

MassiveProng wrote:
On Fri, 6 Apr 2007 08:04:56 -0500, "Anthony Fremont"
Gave us:

From what I've seen over the past few years, they've all become
lame. It doesn't seem to matter who makes them, they all fail far
too quickly. Maxtor, Fujitsu, WD, Seagate, etc. I got stacks of all
of them.

I wouldn't buy any of those BUT the Seagates. What you are doing to
your drives, we'll never know.

They're not mine, they're customers' drives.

Actually, I do probably know.

If you are not running a database server, you do not need to be
defragging your drives more than once a month or even two months.
I go three.

I don't defrag Linux and on my windos computers I defrag maybe once a year.

If you are one of those "daily defrag" twits,. THAT IS your problem
with dead drives.

I don't wast my time with that crap, it rarely makes any difference at all.
Until I started using CA, I didn't even run an anti-virus package. It's
less time consuming for me to clean up the damage (which almost never occurs
anyway) than it is to put up with the constant slow-downs and system
problems from using something like Norton. Norton.....what a POS.....it is
the virus. Now my customers love me just because I rid them of the Norton
virus and replace it with something else. They can't believe the
performance increase.

As for bad drives, I see them all the time. I just replaced one in a $3000
laptop that was well under a year old. Guess what, it was a deskstar.
And another thing, S.M.A.R.T is worthless at predicting drive failure.