Martin H. Eastburn

Default laser level for line on curved surface?

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Martin H.
Eastburn says...

on a water tower at night. That is 14 miles of round trip and droppoff by the
square of the distance.

My understanding is that because that is not a point source,
the 1/R(sq) law does not apply. Of course it's still a long way
for a laser pointer like that.

Jim

please reply to:

The pointer is a =5mw model. It is really an UV that is blasted in a Yag xtal.
So in a way, the UV is pumping the Yag xtal and it is the laser.

Back in the dark ages - aka '68 - we got a couple of lasers for the lab and they were
listed at 5mw - just a tweak under the legal limit or just on it - for mandatory restrictions.

Naturally, we hauled it up to the roof and shot the water tower with it. Worked nice. :-)
Nowadays, a pocket holds one, back then it was a He OO IIRC.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer