Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.design
Joel Kolstad Joel Kolstad is offline

Default .NET Framework ??

"Mike Monett" wrote in message
Whenever I'm looking for applications, I disregard any application written
in .NET, and continue looking for code written by professionals.

I'm willing to bet you a dollar that -- at least if you're running Windows XP
or Vista -- you're using plenty of .Net programs without even knowing it.

You can argue that the overhead of .Net -- and similar technologies such as
Java or (to a much lesser extent) Python -- are not worth their (sometimes
quite significant) overhead, but there are some objectives advantages to what
..Net is attempting to do. Not that that implies Microsoft has necessarily
done a particularly good job (I wouldn't really know, having only ever written
"toy" programs in .Net), but hey -- at least they're trying to advance
technology while they take over the universe! :-)

One of the authors in the LTspice forum generated a MOSFET model program
using .NET. He recently changed it to a stand-alone exe. This shows .NET is
not needed, and how easy it is to get rid of it.

Note that producing a stand-alone .exe doesn't imply that .Net is gone -- it
could have just been bundled up in the executable.

..Net certainly isn't "needed," but neither is Windows Vista or XP, or
Microsoft Outlook or Word or any other program out there. How easy or hard it
is to get rid of .Net is largely a function of the size, complexity, and scope
of the program that's written -- "hello world" is trivially ported to any
language/framework you want, after all.

----Joel