Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Oh my! Nostalgia!

joseph2k wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

joseph2k wrote:

And just what tubes were those? Of the about about 1000 failed tubes
that i have seen well over 95% were just filament / heater failures; and
not one broken envelope except for two mechanical shock victims.

I've seen horizontal output tubes where the glass melted when the
drive failed. It also destroyed the flyback transformer. A few of the
melted tubes had a hole in the glass, while others just softened and
shrank till they were touching the plates. Maybe a half dozen melted
tubes in 30 years.

Hmmmph. Failed protective circuits or hardware. Fuses should have blown
and circuit breakers tripped before that that happened. They weren't a
Muntz brand were they?

No, they were RCa, GE, Zenith, Motorola, Philco, Sylvania, Magnavox,
and a lot of other brands. No one has EVER claimed that the TVs were
well designed. Take the early sold state sets. The horizontal drive
would fail, and put a large DC bias on the deflection yoke, breaking the
the neck of the CRT. The company that made the so called "Safety
capacitor" filed bankruptcy, leaving a number of manufacturers
scrambling to find someone to make a replacement part, and take
responsibility for any damage if their design failed. The "Safety
capacitors went from three leads to four, to improve the chances that
the "Safety capacitor" would open if there was a failure in the
horizontal deflection circuit.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell