Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
colin colin is offline

Default LC Oscillator

"Mike Monett" wrote in message
begin 666 colposcillator3.asc
Attachment saved: C:\0DNLOAD\colposcillator3.asc

end

Check the tank Q. You have the emitter resistor in parallel with the
main tank capacitance. At 3MHz, Xc is 377 ohms. With an emitter
resistor of 1k, the tank Q is just over 2. This is not adequate for
low phase noise.

The series resistance of 1 ohm for the inductor is a bit optimistic.
This would give a Q of 377 for the inductor. Values near this can be
achieved at 3MHz, but it takes special care. A more probable value
is 37, which means increasing the series resistance to 10 ohms.

The capacitance ratio of 5n / 140pf = 35 is quite large. With an
inductor Q of 37, the oscillator may fail to start at higher values
of emitter resistance. So you are constrained to operate at emitter
resistances that give a low tank Q, thus poor phase noise.

Regards,

Mike Monett

you could replace the emitter resistor with an inductor,
say 100uh.
I played around with the jfet ltspice circuit I posted,
it showed less than -40db harmonic,
virtually lost in the digitising noise.

Colin =^.^=