Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin John  Larkin is offline

Default Oh my! Nostalgia!

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 00:04:42 GMT, Joerg
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:10:48 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 20:01:31 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:

.My first high-power amplifier was a version of Williamson-Ultralinear,

but wasn't built from a kit... straight from schematic to chassis.

.Of course I had an advantage... I was raised in a radio-TV repair shop

and had access to chassis punches, etc., and an account with the local
electronics wholesale house.

I only learned in recent years that my dad had instructed the
wholesale house personnel that I was to have free rein to wander the
product storage aisles and get whatever I wanted... charged to his
account ;-)

A lot of good that did you, long after the fact.

No. I was just careful, because I thought I had to pay for it.

...Jim Thompson

My uncle Sheldon had a tv repair shop, so I had an infinite supply of
old chassis and parts. Plus he had been a radio operator in WWII and,
on leaving the service, had somehow stolen a shed full of exotic
military gear. And when I was a kid, there was mountains of WWII
surplus electronics around, like a wing-pod radar for $70, or pmt's
and crt's for $1.

I don't think I ever saw Sheldon without a long-neck Dixie beer in one
hand and a cigarette in the other, and a honkey-tonk woman nearby. He
used to put a few cases of empties out on the front porch and the
Dixie truck driver, seeing them, would replace them with full ones.

The cigarettes were probably hand rolled Bull-Durhams?

No, they came out of some pack. They killed him, of course.

John