Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
petrus bitbyter petrus bitbyter is offline

Default Diodes /N CD4040 how

"Kevin Brooks" schreef in bericht
I am trying to divide a 2048 Hz clock pulse to 10.5Hz. Based on info
obtained so far, I have a CD4040 wired as follows to make the divisors
additive.

Clock into pin 10. Diodes connected to pins 9, 7, 4 and 13. The anodes
all go to reset pin 11. Pin 11 has a 1M pull-up to Vdd. According to
the data sheet, the corresponding divisors are 1, 2, 64 and 128. That
ads to 195. 2048/195=10.5, or so it would seem.

There is a nice squarewave on the scope. However, the frequency
reading at the most significant digit output (pin 13) is 16Hz.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing here?

Kevin Brooks

You're missing some knowledge. That CD4040 is a ripple counter, that's to
say the output of a stage serves as a clock for the next stage. The delay is
lang enough to have false overall outputs between a clockpuls entering the
first stage and the effect of that pulse in the last stage. As it's a dirty
way of designing anyway, you can't make it worse by adding some delay in the
reset circuit. So lower the 1M pullup to let's say 10k and add a capacitor
of 100p between that resistor and the ground. If that's not enough you can
lower the resistor and raise the capacitor value until you achive the result
you want.

petrus bitbyter