Boris Beizer

Default Jeweler's Saws - Good Brands/Sources?

"Mike Henry" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations on good brands or sources for jeweler's
saws.

I've been using what is probably an import and am frustrated by it's
apparent inability to keep the blade tensioned.

Have you tried fixing it? If it's an ordinary jeweler's saw, the blade is
held in place by a movable flat plate against the frame -- the movable plate
and the frame must both be very parallel. Also, the fit of the movable
plate against the post or screw must be LOOSE. Sloppy here is better
because it allows the plate to align with the frame. Another, but less
likely possibility is that the screw used to adjust the frame size is loose
or worn. I've yet to see a jeweler's saw frame that couldn't be fixed by a
little judicious filing of the plates and/or retapping a screw.
I've got two saw-frames, probably Grobet's but the names are
worn off. The newer one I bought about 55 years ago as an apprentice. The
older one was my father's, which puts it about 85 or more years old. Both
totally serviceable and never a slipping blade that I can recall -- unless
the plates were dirty.
Of course, you may not have real jeweler's saw frame. If you
want to buy one, go to a professional jeweler's supplier such as Gesswein,
Ritter, or I. Shors. A good saw frame is a once-in-a-lifetime,
trouble-free, purchase.

Boris

--

Boris Beizer Ph.D. Seminars and Consulting

TEL: 215-572-5580
FAX: 215-886-0144
Email bsquare "at" sprintmail.com