Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Patriarch Patriarch is offline

Default Cleaning up torn end grain...

It's been a while, since I cranked up the lathe, but I did today. And I've
forgotten about some of the basics, I guess.

There's a bowl blank mounted there, California Laurel, and I've turned the
outside of the bowl, and cut the foot for chuck mounting. That part I've
got fine, I think. But there's some torn end grain that shows when I sand
it out to 400, and particularly when I wipe on some shellac.

Do I need to resand back in the 120 grit range? Or go back to a scraper or
gouge, and recut the surface? Is there a benefit of higher speed, or
lower?

This laurel is prety dry. I bought it from a wholesaler a couple of years
ago. It was coated in wax, which turned off pretty easily, but it turns
differently from the air dried walnut that I've used most recently.

Opinions? Other than that cherry is much easier to get right?

Patriarch