Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Home brew 3 phase VFD ?

well, I for one would be astounded if a commercial notebook running windows
or linux could keep up with the required IO for this task- start by deciding
what your refresh rate for the waveform is - the waveform itself will be
somewhere below 400 hz, but you will want to sample current and voltage and
calcuate what to do at maybe 40 khz to 400 khz - how will you do that on a
machine whose basic "fast" interrupt is 1.8 ms?

"azotic" wrote in message

"Ignoramus12500" wrote in message
news

I think that microcontroller really is the heart of a VFD, it would
not be easy to program.

Rather than using a microcontroller for experimenting i intend to use one
of my old notebook computers, interface it to the power block and
write some sofware to controll the power block thru one of computers
I/O ports.

Best Regards
Tom.