Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Home brew 3 phase VFD ?

Ignoramus12500 wrote:

On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 12:24:17 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus12500 wrote:

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 09:11:30 -0700, azotic wrote:

Thanks for the tip, the rotary phase converters don't have the
flexability i want and are to noisy for me. I was thinking about
using one of my old note book computers interfaced to some power
semiconductors and hopefully end up with a user programable vfd.

Do not underestimate the cost of this project, and you will end up
with something rather substandard. But it is fun.

For example, single phase input rated, 1 horsepower VFDs can be bought
on eBay for about $47 plus $12 shipping. It is hard to beat that.

Got an example of that price point, Igor?

Well, check out eBay item 180144202452, "ALLEN BRADLEY AC DRIVE".

Allen Bradley VFD
CAT NO. : 160S-AA04NSF1P1

The manual for it is he

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Allen...VFD-Manual.pdf

Check page 14 of it to see that it is a Bulletin 160, single phase
input, 240v, 1 HP, open enclosure, analog signal follower, P1
(includes programmer keypad).

It went for $47, the seller charged me $12 for shipping. It would sell
for less, if I had ability to snipe at the last second, which I did
not because I was with my 1.5 year old after he took a bath. So I
placed my last bid 3 minutes before auction end.

Beware that 160-B* drives are 380-460 volts only. You need 160-A*. The
letter S after 160 denotes single phase input.

Some of these drives are for only digital control rather than an analog
input. Some come without the programming contol pad on the front. Dont
buy the B type drives, thats the ones I use.

John