Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Broken?

wrote:
Hello,

I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and my garbage disposal
in my kitchen sink has given me no problems. I tried to work it
yesterday via the switch on the wall, and nothing happened. I'm not
sure if I need to get a repair man in to fix or replace it, or do they
just need to be cleaned out from time to time? How do I clean one of
these things out if this is the case?

1. Push the teeny red overload reset button on the bottom of the disposal
(it's there, look for it).
2. If the disposal just hums for a few seconds:
a. Push the teeny red button again,
b. Use an allen wrench in the hole at the bottom to turn the disposal's
business shaft.
3. If no allen wrench hole, use a broom handle to turn the innards of the
disposal until the jam clears.
4. If the jam is caused by something that the disposal won't handle (say, a
spoon or femur), remove the obstruction.