Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ranger The Ranger is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Broken?

wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 07:46:01 -0700, "The Ranger"
wrote:
asked in message
roups.com...
I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and
my garbage disposal in my kitchen sink has given
me no problems. I tried to work it yesterday via
the switch on the wall, and nothing happened. I'm
not sure if I need to get a repair man in to fix or
replace it, or do they just need to be cleaned out
from time to time? How do I clean one of these
things out if this is the case?

First, unplug the unit from it's power source and
remove any

Some are hard wired. [..]

Interesting; why would someone do this?

None, including the six apartments I lived in, I've ever seen were
hardwired; every last one was a plug-in to an outlet under the
sink. I asked my FIL about this, too, and he said he never saw
them as the maintainance guy for three complexes. shrug

[snip]
To clean it, and sharpen the "knives" inside the
unit, throw some ice down the sink with running
water. The swirling ice is like Brillo to the throat
area and resharpens the grinders. You can do

Really? You can sharpen steel with ice?

Two handyman shows I used to watch, the handyman advice column I
read, and my FIL all provided similar information so I'll answer
"Yes" in answer to your facetiously posed idea.

The Ranger