Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Breaker on #6 copper

In article LO0ti.318$V53.117@trnddc08, M Q wrote:
I should clarify my comments here. The ampacity of the #6 wire depends upon
the type of wire. OP didn't say what type. If it is a type that has a 55 A
ampacity, then use 50 A breaker. Other types of #6, may have ampacities of
65, 75, or other.

Clarifed or not, your comments are still wrong. It's perfectly OK to use a 60A
breaker on a conductor with a listed ampacity of 55A, under Article 240.4(B).

Likewise, if the listed ampacity is 65A, a 70A breaker may be used, and if the
listed ampacity is 75A, an 80A breaker may be used -- all because standard
breaker sizes do not include 55, 65, or 75 amps.

--
Regards,