Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Breaker on #6 copper

In article AW%si.115$zg3.49@trnddc04, M Q wrote:
Toller wrote:
I am running #6 copper. As I read it, it is good for 55a, and since there
is no 55a breaker, I can use a 60a. Is that correct?

No. Use a 50A breaker (or less).

Wrong. Please familiarize yourself with the NEC before attempting to answer
electrical questions.

A 60A breaker is perfectly fine:

"Devices Rated 800 Amperes or Less. The next higher standard overcurrent
device rating (above the ampacity of the conductors being protected) shall be
permitted to be used, provided all of the following conditions are met ..."
[2005 NEC, Article 240.4(B)]

The conditions can be summarized as not a multiple-receptacle circuit, no
matching standard breaker, and next size up not 800A.

On the other hand; the most I will ever ever use at one time is a bandsaw
and DC, which draw 27a together (which is why I need another 240v). I
happen to have a 30a breaker. Any reason not to just use that? It is over
the 80% rule, but I presume that applies to the wire rather than to the
breaker. If it trips, I can always replace it.

The 80% applies to the breaker, so with a 30A breaker you can only run 24 A
continuous load. And maybe you might also want to run some lights,
a vacuum, a radio, a charger for some handheld tools, etc.?

The #6 was only a few dollars more than the #8; so what the heck...

--
Regards,