Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Dust collection on a lathe?

In article , "Wade Lippman" wrote:

How well does dust collection work on lathes? I don't wear hearing
protection now, but would have to with the DC running; and that isn't
attractive.
Should I use it or sell it?

My experience with dust collection on a lathe is that a good dust hood, up
close to the work, will catch about three-fourths of the chips and shavings,
and nearly all of the dust from sanding. So much stuff comes flying out anyway
that it's hard to believe the DC is catching anything, until you turn it off
and see how much *more* comes out without it.

I should note that 100% of my lathe experience is with dry wood, and about 98%
of that is spindle turning. I suspect that when turning bowls from green wood,
dust collection would be much less effective.

--
Regards,