Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Steve is offline

Default how to patch hole in door

"Jean" wrote on 04 Aug 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I have a bifold door into my clothes closet. I want to change the
direction that the door opens. Because each panel is unsymmetric
top-to-bottom and right-to-left, I can't just switch the right and
left panel. Instead, I need to move the door knob to the other panel
and fill in the old door knob hole. Unfortunately, the panel that had
the knob is kinda dimpled where the knob was screwed in. What is the
best/easiest way to conceal this hole? (Note: the hole is about 1/4"
to 3/8" on the front and is irregularly shaped ...great construction
down here in Florida!)

Is this a painted or a wood-finish door?

If it's painted, fill the hole with wood putty. Put on a little more
than is needed, then sand it smooth. Since you have a hole, you may need
to do multiple coats. Finally, repaint the door.

If it's wood-finish, you'll never be able to make it invisible. The best
you can do is fill it with an appropriately-colored wood putty, then use
furniture markers to draw in the wood grain. If you're ambitious, you
can use a needle to scratch in simulated grain. I used to repair
furniture for a furniture store, and this is where I'd use melt-in
shellac sticks to make a fake knot.

A new bi-fold door is pretty cheap, especially the hollow-core ones.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement