Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Conditioning old blacksmith tools

In article .com,
wrote:

While moving my mother out of her house we inherited some old
blacksmith tools. The tools show just about every grade of rust from
bad to worse but I would like to clean them and treat them. I plan on
power washing (1800 psi husky) drying out in the sun. My question is
if I plan on storing them for a year or so could I lightly treat them
with 10-30 motor oil, and when they get to there final display
destination would this grade oil slow the rust? Opinions
welcome..................Doc

Reminds me of the time...

A few years back on Antiques Roadshow, a guy brought in an old military
style helmet. He had found it in his parent's attic. Since his
grandfather had been a stage actor, he figured he had a stage prop that
was around 100 years old, and wondered whether it had any value.

He spent some time carefully and lovingly cleaning off the rust, and
polishing it.

It turned out to be a genuine Roman gladiator helmet. I don't remember
the numbers exactly, but by cleaning it, he reduced its value from a few
hundred thousand dollars to around ten thousand, I think.