Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Garbage Disposal Broken?

In article ,
"The Ranger" wrote:

asked in message
ups.com...
I've lived in my house for about 3 years now, and
my garbage disposal in my kitchen sink has given
me no problems. I tried to work it yesterday via
the switch on the wall, and nothing happened. I'm
not sure if I need to get a repair man in to fix or
replace it, or do they just need to be cleaned out
from time to time? How do I clean one of these
things out if this is the case?

First, unplug the unit from it's power source and remove any
debris that might be freezing it up. Anything with fiber (celery,
artichokes, etc.) or a rind (lemons, oranges, grapefruit) can
easily lock a unit up. Plug the unit back in. Run some water and
flip the switch.

I'm guessing that there are no instructions available for you to
check the quick reference and parts' diagram (the picture that
lists every part and shows the disposal pulled apart).

If that's the case, look for a red button, possibly recessed and
under the disposal unit). Press that button, run some water, and
flip the switch again.

If nothing happens, or you hear the disposal straining to move,
shut the switch off and look for another hole that will fit an
allen wrench. My Bonecrusher came with such a tool so I've
attached it to the disposal for convenience. If you don't have
that luxury, of an allen wrench already made for this purpose,
borrow a set so you can find out the correct size. Insert the
allen wrench into the hole underneath the disposal and crank it
clockwise until it turns freely. (Whenever my FIL has had to do
this, he'll also crank it counterclockwise but I don't like doing
that.) Run some water and flip the switch.

Hopefully this will get the unit moving again. If there is no
noise during any time you flip the switch, you might have a dead
unit in which case you'll have to replace it.

To clean it, and sharpen the "knives" inside the unit, throw some
ice down the sink with running water. The swirling ice is like
Brillo to the throat area and resharpens the grinders. You can do
that every 3-6 months and that area of the sink will suddenly be
very clean-smelling. A hot vinegar bath will also help remove the
gamy smell (I do this every 6 months; daylight savings time).

The Ranger

"nothing happened" is quite a bit different than the hum of a jammed
disposal. if he really means nothing, has the OP checked that the unit
is getting power when he flips the switch?