Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich256 Rich256 is offline

Default evaporative air coolers?

On Aug 4, 7:07 am, Dave wrote:
On Aug 3, 8:42 pm, Nexus7 wrote:

On Aug 3, 3:35 pm, Dave wrote:

On Aug 2, 10:59 am, "Stormin Mormon"
A. On the average, the CoolAir 4000 can lower the temperature
12-20 degrees. A great deal depends on the humidity in the air.
Evaporative coolers work best when outside humidity is below 50%.

I saw this ... I believe that with my central A/C, the room humidity
is less than 50%, so I was hoping ...

It isn't going to stay below 50% once you start using the evap cooler
then.

Hmm ... makes sense. Also reminds me of some comedian's bit, maybe
Steve Wright's, where he talks about putting a humidifier and a
dehumidifier in the same room and letting them battle it out. (Though
in my case the dehumdifier isn't in the same room. ;-) thanks.

A small cooler such as that Coolair used along with a refrigeration
unit is just going to make the refrigeration unit work harder. The
refrigeration has to remove that excess moisture from the air.

The only way a evaporative cooler will work properly is to use lots of
dry outside air. To be useful in very hot temperatures it should be
capable of exchangine all the air in the house in three minutes.
When the humidity is in the 10% and temperature about 90 much less air
movement is needed. Most coolers have two or three speeds. And they
require open windows. They work great for cooling kitchens in a dry
climate. But when the outside humidty climbs comfort level drops in
comparison to refrigeration..