Posted to misc.consumers.house
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Washer and Dryer 15" pedestals - to buy or not to buy?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just ordered a Kenmore Elite (front load) washer and dryer and 15"
pedestals for both. I am curious what others think about the
pedestals. For those of you that have them, are you glad you
purchased them or do you regret it? Any problems with them? For
those of you that do not have them do you wish you did purchase them?

The total cost for both pedestals (including tax) is close to $500. I
only have through 8/3/07 to cancel without being charged a restocking
fee. If I wait and order them later, I will be charged another
delivery and setup fee so I would appreciate any advise anyone can
give me to help me decide what to do.

I appreciate any advise and guidance on this subject.

$500 ?!?! Damn. For maybe 100 bucks, I could build a box frame with
plywood deck to set them on, and have some useful storage underneath. For
maybe 150, I could even make it pretty, with trim and paint and a piece of
remnant vinyl on top. Why on earth would you pay a delivery and setup fee
for pedestals, if you bought them later? Just chuck them in the car and
install yourself.

Ergonomically, I suppose they make sense- nobody over 20, unless they are
athletes, is really suited to stuffing things in a hole a foot or so off the
ground. I'm not a big fan of front loaders. My time and pain is worth more
than the supposed water savings to me. Rather than make a profit center from
the pedestals, they should make the washer frame taller, IMHO, and build a
storage drawer in the bottom, like on a stove.

aem sends...