Posted to alt.home.repair
David Todtman David Todtman is offline

Default pex questions

I am adept at plumbing with copper pipe. We're re-doing a bath and for the
flexibility I'd like to use pex for a portion of the hot/cold water runs
this time. I can borrow (no fee) a pex crimping tool from the local
plumbing supplier but I think I want to buy a crimping tool for the
convenience on this and future jobs. I see a tool in my store called
Surlock. Is anyone familiar with this crimper and crimping system (which is
different from the standard pex compression ring system)?

Another question: the copper lines that will feed my new pex runs are half
inch. I notice that the so-called 'half inch' pex fittings (e.g., elbows)
are really not half-inch inner diameter but _much_ smaller. Wouldn't using
such a fitting simply mean I would not really have a half-inch line (but one
much smaller)? If this is correct reasoning then I reckon I should use 3/4
inch pex line.

Thanks in advance,
David Todtman