Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Primer strength in various calibers?

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
Greetings Gundamentalists,
Roger's question about a primer only load has me wondering about
primer strength. In a .22 round there is not much primer. But it's job
is to ignite the powder. When using larger caliber rounds with larger
amounts of powder do primer loads increase at the same ratio? In other
words, if twice as much powder is used, is twice as much primer load
also used? Just curious really since I only shoot .22s
Thanks,
Eric

And now I wonder if the original BB caps had an extra dab of primer. As
stated in the article I finally quoted,
http://www.chuckhawks.com/history_rimfire_ammo.htm
they only used primer to shoot the lead, and these were used in shooting
galleries. We used to use them to shoot rats in my cousin's pigeon coop at
night. I think most everyone had a box of them around to dispatch pesky
rodents and birds when they didn't want a loud sound or the bullet to travel
very far.

Steve