Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Making both dovetails before chucking?

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 10:59:32 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Hi Mac,

Good tip for when a tail stock interferes with cutting a hole with
straight or angled walls for expansion jaws.

Pickying right along, it dovetails nicely (again misusing the word) into
my cautioning that the bottom of a "Forstner bit straight walled recess"
is not usually truly perpendicular to its walls.

Sorry! It's the heat, not the humididy.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

I used to use the forstner bits for the recess, Arch, but quit for 2 reasons...

Several bowls with a tiny hole in the bottom because my bowl depth gauge and
it's operator failed to figure on the cone-shaped hole a F-bit leaves in the
middle..

Most of the wood that I evolved into working with was prone to cracking so I
went to more tenon holding and less recess stuff..

OTOH, if you're holding a piece with a recess and it starts cracking on you, the
advantage there is that you can expand the jaws a bit more to open the crack,
flood the crack with thin CA and then relax the pressure on the recess to
"clamp" the crack while the glue dries..

Not the heat, it's the humility.. ;-)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing