Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

nafuk wrote:
Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want
to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous
owners with some thick black bitumen paint.

Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder
does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite
well with a rag and some petrol!

There is a quite alot of this wall so:
do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting?
if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?

Thank you

Job from hell. Nitromors type strippers work well, and aren't that dear
if you buy in bulk from a trade supplier, but the fumes will kill you
indoors.
ISTR that pliolite paints have reasonable adhesion to bitumen but you'd
need to check with
http://www.johnstonestrade.com/
or similar.