Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default min-fridge v full-size fridge: which is most efficient?

On 3 Aug, 10:45, ken wrote:

I shop so often that I've been able to do without a fridge, but it's a
bit inconvenient. Recently, I was given one of those 'cool box' mini
fridges, a 10-litre job that can run on either mains or 12v battery,
but I'm wondering if it's a false economy in terms of power
consumption.

I've found that, unlike a 'proper' fridge, it doesn't have a
thermostat, so it's working all the time. I tried using it without
anything else switched on, and found it uses more than two untits a
day - that's about 35p per day.

I don't know anything about full-size fridges, so could someone tell
me if a small 'proper' fridge would go through less electricity?
Thanks.

Mini fridges are much lower efficiency than the bigger compressor
fridges. Frequent shopping trips usually consume far more energy and
cost than a fridge.

35p a day is £127 a year. Thats many times what a proper fridge would
consume. An extra £100 a year would amount to £2000 extra cost over a
20 year appliance lifetime.

Then theres the extra cost of spoiled food due to incorrect storage
temp and increased risk of food poisoning.

Finally if youre paying 17p per unit I'd shop around.

NT