Posted to misc.consumers.house
Joe Joe is offline

Default what if I don't use a dehumidifier in basement?

On Aug 2, 9:46 pm, wrote:
On Aug 2, 2:05 pm, Joe wrote:

On Aug 2, 4:27 pm, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

"Joe" wrote in message

roups.com...

so should I run the dehumdifier non-stop or is a couple of times a day
enough to keep mold at bay?

Decide what level of basement humidity you want:
then run the dehumidifier for as many hours per day
as will reduce the actual level to your target level.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Well I ran it for an hour this morning and it brought the level down
to 60%. then I ran it a couple of hours later and it was back up to
80%. Just wondering how long it takes for the humidity to build up.
For the record it's a very hot day - 93 degrees.

It might help to know where you live, and what the climate is. Do
you have regular air conditioning?
If you are in a dryer climate, perhaps all you need to do is ventilate
the basement. If you are in a hot/damp climate, your regualar AC
might be modified to pull the moisture out.

Where is the moisture coming from? Retrofitting a basement to keep
out moisture might not be easy, but at least it's an option.

I'm in Connecticut. It has been very humid lately but there is no
dampness in the basement yet the humidity level is high. I only
brought down the dehumidifier to check on it and was astounded that
the humidity was so high yet it didn't feel very hot, or damp. The
cold water pipes are bone dry. I guess I need to know if I should be
dehumidifying the air down there if there are no warning signs. I've
always heard that if the air feels damp or the pipes are sweating then
there is a need to dehumidify the air but do I need to do so if the
humidity is just high?