Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default A question for the gun experts

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:51:16 GMT, "Steve R."
***********@*************.*** wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:38:41 GMT, "Steve R."
***********@*************.*** wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:37:02 -0700, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

Assume one were to take a .357 revolver and load it with shells that
were
reloaded with a primer only and without any powder.

How far would the bullet get, only propelled by the primer charge?

If it makes a difference let's assume that the bullets are standard
lead
round nose (no metal jacket.
Greetings Roger,
I shoot .22 ammo that is primered only. No powder. It is for pistols
only and the bullet is much smaller than a .22 short bullet. I do
shoot these out of a pistol but also an 80 year old rifle that has
had
a lot of lead go through it.

The sounds like the "BB cap" round that was popular in the 1930s. They
fired a round ball (unlike the slightly larger "CB cap") and had a
primer-only charge. However, I don't know if the primer was the same
size
as a standard .22 round, or maybe had a bit more stuff.

I shoot primer-only .38 Spl. and .32 H&R Mag in my basement, but with
homemade wax bullets. They work fairly well. They're entertaining on
cold
winter nights, anyway.

--
Ed Huntress

I used to use BB caps a bit. May still have some. They had a normal .22
bullet in a short case, but very little powder. 'Cause I took some apart
find out!

Steve R.

Having a normal bullet and a wee dab of powder sounds like a CB.

Just found an empty box in a drawer. It must have been there since the
60s!
It has " C I L Superclean B. B. Caps" printed on the box.

Steve R.

Sounds like a BB cap to me!

In the following article, it is stated that the original BB caps were primer
only. The later CB or conical bullet had just a pinch of powder. (I'm sure
it was specifically measured, but in this article, it is referred to as a
"pinch.")

It is stated that the BB caps were DESIGNED for shooting gallery use.

All together, (I thought) an informative site for .22 bullet information.
Particularly when they get down to the Winchester Rimfire Magnum
development. Also info on the #12 shot "bird or rat shot" rounds.

Steve