Posted to rec.woodworking
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default squaring bowed wood

"Lowell Holmes" wrote in message
news:UWusi.1519$BQ.919@trnddc03...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
Let's say you have a long board that has a bow to it - nothing huge but
maybe 1" deflection over 8 feet on a 6" board. How would you remove that
bow? I'm thinking about it and wonder, because you don't have a straight
edge to use as as reference point, removing the bow with a bandsaw or
tablesaw seems terribly wasteful, but bending a 6" board doesn't seem
possible.

I would probably make two 4' boards out of it and remove the bow that's
left with a handplane or my jointer. That's why I buy rough wood. The
extra thickness will allow you to straighten the board.

Okay, that would explain why rough is not sold in specific thicknesses - it
gives you some room to play with.