Posted to rec.woodworking
Chuck Taylor Chuck Taylor is offline

Default How to make Walnut look really good?

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007 19:01:59 -0400, "Jimmy"
wrote:

I'm going to get some Walnut for some small projects, just wondering what
would "pop" the grain and make it look deep. Thought about natural Danish
oil, mixed 50-50 with polyurathane, with a couple of coats of poly on top.
Would use satin poly with the oil and high gloss on top. Any advice or
expierence would be very helpful.

My favorite for walnut is (boiled) linseed oil followed by orange
shellac. My second favorite, and arguably better for some uses, is
Waterlox Original.

Someone can correct me, but I think David Marks' usual finish is a
1:1:1 combination of poly, oil, and turpentine.

--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact/