Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Working curved surfaces?

On Aug 2, 7:09 pm, rich wrote:
I'm building a Halltree and the plans call for curved arms, approx
2" x 4" x 15" in walnut. I cut them on a band saw to the pattern, and
now have to make them smooth and pretty. On the front supports, I
used a drum sander in the drill press to rough them to size, then a
half round file, eventually sand paper. Seems like a lot of work!

What is a good way to smooth these puppies, or similar projects, in
the future? I have the usual assortment of hand tools, but all seem
to work with flat/straight surfaces. What did people use before power
tools??? And making two pieces the same shape???

Any ideas will be appreciated!

For smoothing curves I use a flexible sanding block. Mine's just a
piece of bending 1/8" bending plywood that's 2.5x16" with a wooden
knob on each end. I put a 16" long piece of 3M psa Stikit sandpaper
on it (the 2.5" wide rolls) and then sand the curve smooth after
cutting it close on the bandsaw. If I'm making more than one (and
many times even if only one) I'll make a plywood template first, and
then use it to template rout the final piece(s). You can also buy
flexible sanding blocks from automotive supply stores - they're
sometimes called longboards.

JP