Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Working curved surfaces?

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 16:09:55 -0700, rich
wrote:

I'm building a Halltree and the plans call for curved arms, approx
2" x 4" x 15" in walnut. I cut them on a band saw to the pattern, and
now have to make them smooth and pretty. On the front supports, I
used a drum sander in the drill press to rough them to size, then a
half round file, eventually sand paper. Seems like a lot of work!

What is a good way to smooth these puppies, or similar projects, in
the future? I have the usual assortment of hand tools, but all seem
to work with flat/straight surfaces. What did people use before power
tools??? And making two pieces the same shape???

Any ideas will be appreciated!

Regards,
Rich.....

I chuck a drum into my drill press. Other times I make custom sanding
blocks and staple sandpaper to them. Draw the curved line, bandsaw
leaving the line, sand to remove half the line. And yes, it's lots
of work. Someday I'm gonna splurge for that $600 Grizzly spindle
sander. Be extra careful with your lungs and walnut dust!!!