Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Nie Tom Nie is offline

Default Making both dovetails before chucking?

Arch,
What about "....finish the tip of a thin spindle held on a spur
center...."??

I've a job coming up like that and just did some spindles with difficulty.

For someone who's just used creative juices instead of a fixed pattern, I
found spindle multiples to be quite an exercise.
You WILL learn tool control:-)

TomNie

"Arch" wrote in message
Bjarte, Leo and George,

Very clear instructions re a jig for making "in line" dovecotes,
recesses or just plain ole holes, but never dovetails. One weird
use might be in making off lathe multiple blanks for production line
work, but mostly I just wanted to add another technique for me and
hopefully a few others to know about. I realize that it won't shake the
earth.

Perhaps not this time, but I think it can be useful or at least
interesting for rcw to think outside the bowl from time to time.
No woodturner may ever use the jig, but that wasn't my question and
isn't the same thing as knowing about it.

Thanks for explaining another technique that somebody may find useful
sometime or at least know about it. In deference to Ecnerwal, I won't
mention that there are many ways to skin a cat or brew coffee.

Knowing about this jig is sort of like knowing how to turn cubes on a
lathe or how to finish the tip of a thin spindle held on a spur center
without tail support. Useless info .....maybe, maybe not.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter