Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default THE fastest material removal....

Greg O wrote:
I think that drilling would win by a landslide. Heck, 25 years ago I
worked at a machine shop and I got a kick out of drilling 2" holes in
steel, in a 40 HP turning lathe, carbide insert drill. ...

Sure, but what did that 40 hp lathe cost? The cu-in/min is very
impressive, but what's the cu-in/min/$? It's the "/$" that's the great
equalizer. Although I do suspect that there's an economy-of-scale thing
here, where bigger is cheaper. So the vol/time/cost number is most
useful for comparing like-scale tools. E.g., a home shop lathe to a
home shop drill press, etc.

Bob