Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

"Why" wrote in message

Oh, you just reminded me of something I thought about for you some time
ago,
and I wanted to ask you about it. It's my idea for seamless leather belts
for screw machines and so on. It might be tricky to mount them, but the
idea
is sound.

All my belts have no clips, I glued them on a jig (is that PC) after
grinding them. Them clips will drive you nuts click, click,click.
Grinding them on a 7 deg taper is fun for the 6" you need to do.
But hey old farts can do that!

I need to replace the belt on my South Bend. It's around 40 years old and
getting a little tired.

What you do is take a whole cow and deep-freeze it, then cut it into
sections on a big bandsaw. You skin out the belts very carefully and make
London Broil and hamburger out of the meat.

Now, I realize that the belly hide is a lot thicker, and you'd have to
carefully plane that section down to a uniform thickness. But think about
it, Dave. It's something you could do to make a few bucks when you retire,
eh? You can get a couple of those skinny Texas cows to try it out.

Retire? What is that? I will die with Sulphur oil on me, like SS will
allow me to retire, but if I worked for big Pharma maybe I could till
they turned the retirement fund over to the government like auto
companys are starting to do.

If you work for Big Pharma, you know which drugs to take to make it all
better. The one I was working on until a few months ago, which had been
under development for around ten years, was scheduled to be approved by the
FDA last month. They decided not to approve it. Boo-hoo. There's another $2
Billion down the drain... A few billion here, a few billion there, and
pretty soon it adds up to real money.

I got this idea a while back when I was cutting steaks from a frozen tuna
on
my 14" Delta. Man, you have to be really careful when you clean the blade
and the tires, and tuna sawdust tends to accumulate in the bottom of the
blade guard, so you want to blow it out real well with an air hose. But it
works like a charm.

Frozen tuna from china, better watch that ED .

Hey, this was tuna from the Hudson Canyon. US-made tuna, yessirree.

--
Ed Huntress