Posted to alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default THE fastest material removal....

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 09:45:05 -0400, Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

Awl--

Volume-wise, of course.
Opinions?

I read some time ago somewhere that it was drilling.

This surprised me, as I thought the drill point, being essentially zero sfm,
would act as a limiting factor.
Intuitively I figgered it would be lathe turning, as the tool is moving
along a large surface, so chip removal is almost a non-issue, and coolant is
"more effective" than it would be on a buried cutter, and here the tool is
essentially never buried, etc.

But mebbe it could be something like a large-kerf circular saw blade?
Mebbe a saw blade moving along like a Dumont grinder on a lathe??

A shaped charge of high explosive comes to mind.

Or did you mean something that could be used in the home shop?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com