Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
handyman@_______.com handyman@_______.com is offline

Default What's .001 uufd ?

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 06:51:42 -0400, JW wrote:

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:41:05 -0400 "Radiosrfun"
wrote in Message id: :

I recall a time, I had an tube type H.F. rig needing repaired. The damned
volt probe kept slipping off the post with clip installed. I knew to keep
one hand out or else. Well, I said to myself mentally (the angel on my
shoulder speaking) - dummy - you're going to get lit up if you stick both
your hands in there to hold those probes in place. BUT - (the devil on my
other shoulder prodding me on) I didn't heed my own advice and I did just
that - stuck both hands in. YEP - sure as hell - I got lit up. Served me
right. Man, that tickled worse than the "Light socket". Didn't have to kick
myself in the ass - the shock did a good enough job.

I can remember making a Jacob's ladder with a oil burner transformer, and
sticking all manner of objects into the resulting arc to see what would
happen - paper would get holes punched through it and sometimes catch
fire, etc. One day I held a pencil by the eraser end (metal) into the arc.
Of course, the high voltage traveled up the inside of the pencil and
discharged to the metal end I was holding (duh!) Naturally, I didn't
attempt THAT one again...

You ain't seen a Jacobs Ladder till you see this one that shoots 100
feet in the air from a 500KV.
Go to: http://205.243.100.155/frames/longarc.htm
Then watch the video called "This is the record holder for the world's
largest unintentional Jacob's Ladder!".

Of course look at the others too.
I love this website !!!!

By the way, I used to play with neon light transformers. They can
really kick butt !!!!