Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Peavey Black Widow speaker rebuild

Ron(UK) wrote in message
news
N Cook wrote:

The 0.08mm thick aluminium dome must have been press-formed (or that

very
hands-on turning type process that I forget the name of) with a cylinder
extension to the dome and the cylinder section is glued to the inside of

the
VC former.

Spinning perhaps?

So had to cut around the dome to remove and have to hope the
final gluing-back holds up against the air pumping process.

That`s partly why there`s a hole through the magnet, some speaker
manufacturers put a hole in the dome. If the original dome is damaged,
Wembley Loudspeakers will sell you one. If you're worried about
cosmetics, fit a larger dome to hide the remains of the old one.

I'm thinking of some golf tees in the rim mount holes to give sliding
alignment with the holes in the periphery of the cone on re-assembly.

Just line it up properly in the first place

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems

Yes metal spinning.

Golf tees are too small but 4 ball point pen barrels temporarily glued to
the extreme rim should be ideal as a nice sliding fit with the cone. I will
add black dyestuff to the glue to fix dome back. Dome and inner edge of cone
masked off close to the glue/cut line, with tape, should be neat enough.
I'll just have to make sure its pastey enough not to drip inside, through
the scalpel cut line.

And I won't add gooey stuff in the way of silicone film to the VC cylinder

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England