Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Have you ever needed to machine copper

"Why" wrote in message

Sound advice. I'll think of that the next time I pull a stainless steel
bird's nest out of my South Bend.

Hey ED, still dealing dope? Err writing about the dope dealing big
pharma?

I've retired from full-time in the pharmaceutical business, although I'm
still doing some freelance work for NYC pharma agencies. Watch for my
upcoming articles on medical-device manufacturing in metalworking magazines.
I'll let you know when.

I ran a bunch of copper torch tips (copper of some kind) on
one of my Brownies in 1978, got one in my hand right now. 3/8" hex
1.100 long with tapped threads & a tapered nose, .032 hole thru.
About 3,000 of them. Was hard on drills & taps but not to bad. Every
800 or so I would have to change drills & the tap. All tool steel &
Sulphur oil. It would wear the big drill down to a taper G.
They furnished the material & when it showed up the trucker showed me
their bill & I think it was over $3,000.

Some copper alloys are surprisingly abrasive. I don't know if it's
precipitates or what. I used to know, but then I forgot...

Copper does really cost, which you notice when you pay for a bunch of
barstock or solids. Man, it adds up in a hurry.

Still run the 1942 Brownies

They'll outlast you, Dave, especially since you run them on boiling oil and
brimstone...er, oil and sulfur. You may run out of cows for drive belts,
however, if global warming turns Texas into a frying pan. It'll be grilled
hamburger from border to border.

I'm 7 miles from a bay, and I'm counting on building a dock in my back yard
before I croak.

--
Ed Huntress