Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Zimmerman Randy Zimmerman is offline

Default newbie ?: what kind of machine to cut small aluminum pieces

Purchase a regular wood cutting mitre saw/chop saw and install a non ferrous
metal cutting blade. A small amount of paraffin wax on the sides of the
blade will reduce gumming. It is a fair investment but you can use the saw
for non metal jobs too.
Randy

"calgon" wrote in message
What should I get to make straight 90 degree or 45 degree cuts of
aluminum tube, sheet, etc? My arm is tired of hacksawing and my cuts are
never straight anyway. I tried a (wood) band saw before. The blade
wandered off line too much. Worse then my hacksaw. Maybe it was a cheap
bandsaw? What about these abrasive chop saws I see at home depot. I
would think that those would just melt little aluminum pieces. I see
metal cutting bandsaws, but it looks like they start at around $1000.

any tips? thanks