Andy Asberry

Default OT - Lawn Tractors & Small farm tractors

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:18:26 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

John Martin

I have an old Sears "Suburban" lawn tractor. My neighbor has a new
Sears tractor. He is envious of mine. That thing is so heavily built
it'll last forever. And, there are people who restore these things.
Maybe, because you posted on this metalworking group, you might be
inclined to buy some used iron that has either been fixed already or
that you fix yourself. If I didn't have the 9N, Surburban, and the
Gibson I'd be looking for a farmall cub. I did need to weld up and
turn down one of the shafts the blade rides on in the Suburban. But it
was bad when I paid $150.00 for it and I didn't know it. After three
years of use the bearings started to make noise on that shaft. And it
was obvious, when opened up, that the bearings had been bad for more
than three years. So I spent two hours fixing it and having a good
time doing it.
ERS

They were made by Roper. I have a '71 model ST 12. I replaced the
engine about 10 years ago with an OHV 14 hp. I have the mowing deck
apart now to repair some sheet metal. I would like to buy a new mower
shell. Any idea if they are available still?

Our rural neighborhood has tractor races each Labor Day. Mine is
undefeated three years running. Wheelie starts usually psych out the
younger participants. The Powder Puffs are run with the "bulls"
(husbands) in the trailer. With my 100# wife driving and my 245 in the
rear of the trailer, which unloads the tractor, we can do ten foot
"burnouts".