Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Replacing a stubborn shower head

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"hoonsuk" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower
head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is
basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint.
I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement
shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered
replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued
as well.

Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the
"ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough.
Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?

Thanks,

Hoonsuk

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are
lined up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it
with a damp cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece
of pond liner (thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go
looking for a pond supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber
mats that people sometimes put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to
grow mold as a hobby, or an old rubber bath mat you can cut a piece
from?

try an scrap of bicycle inner tube,or a rubber jar opener(round rubber
disc,textured)

On my shower,I had to replace the elbow pipe that comes out of the wall;the
ball was an integral part of that pipe.
they do that so you can't swap shower heads.

(the "glue" may only be liquid pipe compound.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik