Posted to alt.home.repair
hoonsuk hoonsuk is offline

Default Replacing a stubborn shower head

On Aug 1, 5:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"hoonsuk" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi all,

I moved into an older apartment and I'm trying to replace my shower
head with a hand-held one. The problem is that the shower head is
basically just a round ball which snaps into a ball-and-socket joint.
I need to unscrew the "ball" so that I can screw on my replacement
shower head, but it seems to have been glued in place. I considered
replacing the whole pipe leading into the wall, but that's been glued
as well.

Is there something I can use to dissolve the glue and remove the
"ball" shower head? I've used Goof Off, but it's not strong enough.
Any tips on how I can get the "ball" shower head unscrewed?

Thanks,

Hoonsuk

See what Eric said. And, sometimes if you're lucky and the stars are lined
up just right, you can avoid scarring the pipe by wrapping it with a damp
cloth and then grabbing it with the wrench. I use a piece of pond liner
(thick rubber) for this, but you're not likely to go looking for a pond
supply store. Got anything similar, like rubber mats that people sometimes
put in the bottom of the kitchen sink to grow mold as a hobby, or an old
rubber bath mat you can cut a piece from?

Thanks for the great tips. Looks like I have to go buy another
plumber's wrench from Home Depot. :-)

Hoonsuk