Posted to alt.home.repair
Laurie Laurie is offline

Default AC leaking refrigerant? Not always!

mm wrote:
On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 14:52:39 -0700, The Reverend Natural Light
wrote:

Having accidentally gotten high on paint or gasoline fumes a couple
of times, I can't believe that some people do it on purpose. It is
an awful experience! Why would anyone snort solvents or unknown
chemicals from air conditioning equipment when pot is so easy to
find?

Because they're stupid. (I'm not recommending pot.)

On the tv they are always telling parents to "Talk to your children
about drugs/sex/AIDS/alcohol/drinking and driving/cocaine/huffing
whatever.

Frankly, I would have been insulted if my parents thought I was so
stupid I didn't know how dangerous most of those things were, and I
think a lot of kids would be not only insulted, but would resent it
and go out of their way to prove their parents foolish.

I don't have kids but my parents' method seems a lot better to me.
For years before I had any access to those things, when they watched
the tv news, or tv dramas, or read the paper, and they saw someone get
in trouble with any of those things, they would say outloud, How
stupid can that guy be. What if he killed someone? How much does he
think it takes to kill his own brains. What is she going to do with a
baby and no husband?

They didn't address these comments to me, so I wasn't insulted.

And it was clear that they really believed what they said, and weren't
just being more cautious than necessary parents. Or trying to ruin my
fun.

They also didn't have to either wait until the last minute, wait
longer than the last minute (like after I was already 15 and getting
drunk at parties) or spend a lot of time wondering when it was too
early and when it would be too late.

If there isn't a news report, tv drama, paper or other media around with the
"right" warning story when the kid happens to be around - it is a parents'
obligation to let their child know about the dangers that are out there. To
assume my kids are too smart for this or that is not something I'm willing
to do. I don't believe it is an insult to their intelligence to inform them
of dangerous practices - if they do know about whatever it is, great, it
doesn't hurt to hear it twice. If they don't know, it's an education. They
already know I don't think they are stupid. But, they also agree that many
times they just plain don't know what they don't know - and they can learn
from others' experience (that belief fades between for a period between 16
and 21 in my experience ;-)).

I agree you can dissuade by implication of stupidity where the opportunity
is available, but where it is not, better safe than sorry.

Case in point - the recent fad huffing propellant out of those key board
cleaner sprays. Sounds like same thing as this a/c stuff with same effects -
except some of these kids got frostbitten tongues, etc. Some died, some had
major lung/tissue damage. Some probably just got high and moved on. BUT - I
talked to my 15 year old about it *just in case* he knew someone who was
doing it who might not be totally aware of the risk. A "new" fad often seems
safer than the old "bad" things.

I also let my kids know that it is not okay with me if they do x, y or z -
not because I'm p***ing in their wheaties, but because I love them. As they
get older they can make their own decisions, but until then, it is my job
as a parent to do what I am able to do to keep them safe and out of trouble.

My .02 - Laurie