Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default OT sort of; bottled water

" wrote:

On Jul 29, 6:21?pm, "Pete C." wrote:
Oren wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 18:03:37 -0400, David Starr
wrote:

Every time I see someone with bottled water, I think of someone sitting in the
garage filling thousands of bottles with water coming from an old rubber garden
hose, and giggling as he pictures his bank account growing.

I just can't figure out what the big attraction of bottled water is.

CONveniences (cap locks intentional)

--
Oren

Hofstadter's Law - It [a task] always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

Convenience is a big one. Shelf life is another.

The water in the bottle is *not* the same as that from a garden hose or
tap, even if the initial source was the tap, it is significantly cleaner
biologically. Remember that tap water going into the bottling plant is
filtered, chlorinated, dechlorinated and reverse osmosis filtered, all
the while passing through piping systems that are sanitized with
chlorinated water several times per shift along with the bottling line
and then it's filled into bottles that have been sanitized as well. It's
the same water and process as the soda bottled on the same lines.

Pete C.- Hide quoted text -

As I mentioned in a previous post, it is not necessarily true that
bottled water is cleaner biologically than tap water. In many areas,
tap water is bound by higher standards than those set for bottled
water.

As far as I'm concerned, I am all for the guy who can market and sell
tap water's approximate equal (we can quibble all we want over
details, the difference is not significant in most cases, and bottled
water doesn't always end up on top). I'm just not going to be a
customer when there is a suitable substitute readily available and
several magnitudes lower in cost. A pint of tap water costs about
1/100 of a cent. A pint of bottled water costs about $1.

There was, in fact, a restaurant (I believe it was The Berghoff, now
gone) which was selling "Chicago Tap Water", which people would
apparently buy by the case because of the superior water treatment in
Chicago.

The Berghoff is gone? I haven't been to Chicago in quite a while, but
recall having a few nice dinners there. Bummer.