Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default OT sort of; bottled water

On Jul 29, 11:12?am, "Pete C." wrote:
" wrote:

It has been known for years that much of the water sold as bottled
water is tap water. I have told people that, and have had them
insisit that it wasn't true, even when I showed them articles with
quotes from company representatives.

I'm afraid you don't comprehend the difference between the source of the
water i.e. public water supply, and the end product that is bottled
which is most certainly not the same thing any more than a bottle of
soda which is made with the same base water is. That tap water goes
through three or more stages of filtration generally including reverse
osmosis which produces pure water that is significantly cleaner than
municipal tap water. This filtered water is what is bottled for the
Aquafina and Dasani products and also what is mixed with the various
syrups to make the sodas, it is most certainly *not* tap water.

Pete C.

I spoke somewhat abruptly, but I think my meaning was clear: water
purchased in bottles under brand names is not of a higher objective
quality than that which comes from the tap in most of the US. In
fact, had I taken time to clarify, I might have pointed out that in
some places, tap water is of a higher objective quality.

While there is a filtering process for bottled water, the standards in
many municipalities (Chicago among them) are higher for tap water than
for bottled water. In other words, in such places the tap water goes
through more processsing than the bottled water. Testing done on
bottled water versus tap water has shown, in many areas, that the tap
water actually has lower bacteria count. This was, in fact, the topic
of the Roe Conn Radio Show in Chicago (www.wlsam.com) just a few days
ago, when the bottlers were announcing the new labeling. In Chicago,
the reason appears to be that the city of Chicago has set standards
for tap water, while standards for bottled water are standardized
nationally.

A couple points to note: Chicago water is among the most sophisticated
in terms of municipal water treatment in the world. Other cities have
sent people to Chicago to learn from them. Also, the level of purity
of almost any water supply in the United States is extremely high.
You'd have to search hard to find a non-potable water supply in the
US.

I am far from someone who is chasing dwon ways to abide by a "green"
agenda. My motives for keeping abreast of the topic, aside from
professional, have more to do with personal finance. The cost of a
bottle of water seems to typically hover around $1-$2 per pint for
water. At the low end of this, water costs $8 per gallon. Water from
the tap costs several orders of magnitude less, and there is little
discernible difference between the two products. The more expensive
may edge out the less expensive option in quality in some cases, but
in other cases it is itself edged out.

With all of the above being said, those who live in hard water areas
may well opt for bottled water of the kind from a water cooler.
Inthat case, the cost of the water is closer to $1.25 per gallon.