Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default sticky-fingers repairman

"willshak" wrote in message
on 8/1/2007 1:58 PM said the following:
In article ,

says...

I am 99% sure a repairman lifted my multimeter while leaving the house.
What would be the best way to notify the company he works for? I don't
want to falsely accuse anyone. The meter does not cost much but it just
bugs me.

I'd go with asking if he picked it up by mistake. It does happen.
Our roofers happened to use the same brand and size of fiberglass
extension ladder that I own. When they were done they packed up mine
along with theirs. Called them up and described it, asked them to look
for some spilled paint on the pulley (good thing they're roofers instead
of painters!), and they brought it back.

All my tools have distinctive markings. I spray painted all hand tools
with a bright color (red) and made deep marks with the edge of a grinding
wheel, much like notches in a gunslinger's hand grips..
Like all contractors, my larger tools and equipment have my initials on
them in broad permanent ink.

Chuckle. One summer, I was the designated gofer and toolcrib-key-keeper on
an apartment construction site. Since most of the subs commuted quite a
ways, the manangement kept some loaner tools on hand, to keep the job
moving. Shovels, rakes, chains, etc, all kept growing legs, till I picked up
a couple cans of dayglo pink spray paint on a supply run. If they needed a
tool for their shift, they'd still borrow it, but they got real good about
bringing them back. Macho construction guys hate getting seen with
pink-splashed tools, and if the guy was still working on the site the next
day, finding the tools that hadn't come back at the end of the previous
shift was real easy.

aem sends....