Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Henry St.Pierre[_2_] Henry St.Pierre[_2_] is offline

Default deer antler turning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in

Red
The big thing with antler is to get the stuff out near the tip if
possible. It is harder there and, I think, prettier. Be prepared to
harden the softer areas with CA. Make sure the stuff is dried. Fresh
antler may still have blood in it and is a lot softer. The stuff
STINKS when turning. Most of the neighborhood dogs will line up for a
whiff and thank you for it. Ventilation and a good filtration mask are
a God send. That all said, sharp tools and away you go.

Darrell,
I've never turned antler or pens for that matter. I taken moose and white
tails and the horns (antlers) have a very different texture. Moose antlers
seemed to be hairier (when you cut into them, you can almost detect a
fiber) than white tail antler. Again, never turned them, but I have carved
them. I never noticed the blood and stink and stuff because I usually sawed
them off (with a piece of skull) right after butchering. I normally store
the anlers for some time before carving or mounting.
It looks like I'm going to become a pen turner. I never intended to turn
pens, but the man I recently bought my "new" lathe from included everything
needed to turn pens (presses, trimmers, mandrels, bushings, drill bits
etc.). Ordered 10 slimline kits to practice on.
Regards and love your website,
Hank