Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bjarte Runderheim Bjarte Runderheim is offline

Default Making both dovetails before chucking?

Arch skrev:
Is there a way to drill dovetails in both sides (bottom and top) of a
bowl blank with a Forstner bit _before mounting the blank on the lathe_
so that the piece will be in line (centered) after reverse chucking)?
Lasers? Vodoo? Luck?

Turn to Safety, Arch

(Musing)
However would you line up, Arch?

The way I do it, and I suppose you and a host of others too;
find a spot for my forstner bit, drill a hole,
chuck up and make the reverse hole with a parting tool.

If I am extremely particular, as when I have a full dry and expensive
piece of wood, I then chuck up in the new hole, clean the first one
out with the parting tool - real careful, like - and then reverse
again for a last finish.

After this long and careful procedure, I have two beautiful holes
that I can switch between and rechuck time after time without losing
the center on either side. (I use the Talon, thank you very much.)

Try this on a half-dried piece, and you waste a lot of time and effort
for nothing. Half dried pieces warp as you work.

BjarteR